our eco credentials
At Eco Beach, we take our environmental responsibilities seriously, and we are proud to be at the forefront of ecologically sustainable luxury tourism, in both Australia and the world. We offer luxury accommodation and eco friendly holidays close to Broome.
Here is a summary of some of the things we are doing to make a difference.
Sustainable energy use
- Eco Villas are solar powered and virtually self sustaining, generating 2kw of power from the sun.
- Excess power generated by the solar panels is diverted into the Eco Beach grid and used where needed.
- Eco Villas contain the latest in energy monitoring systems allowing guests to monitor and adjust their individual energy consumption throughout their stay.
- Use of fluorescent lighting throughout facility.
- Computers set to go on standby after 15 minutes of not being used.
- Education of guests about the restrictions on power usage.
- Circuit breakers placed to restrict large power drawing electronic devices from being used.
- Use of smaller generator during off peak times to reduce fuel usage.
- Utilisation of solar technology where possible to reduce fuel usage.
Reducing water consumption
- All waste water at the retreat is recycled and used to water the landscaped grounds.
- Need for irrigation is reduced by planting native plants.
- Service of rooms is completed only on departure or by request during long stays.
- All leaks are immediately fixed.
- Toilets, sink taps and shower heads are all 'Lo-flo'.
Reducing over-consumption and waste
- Waste is separated for recycling.
- Local suppliers are used for catering to minimise transportation.
- All printed paper is re-used for scrap rather than shredded.
- Paperless office principals are maintained with most work stored electronically.
- Buying in bulk reduces packaging.
- Only biodegradable cleaning chemicals are used.
Fish for the future
- Encourage guests to only fish on guided tours so full supervision can be provided.
- Be vigilant about adherence to size and bag limits.
- Encourage the release of fish once reasonable quantities are caught (prior to reaching bag limits).
- Encourage people to only keep the fish they can eat that day.
- Educate guests about responsible fishing.
Other areas of minimising environmental impact
- The patented Eco Tent designs ensure maximum ventilation and air circulation.
- Over 1km of elevated boardwalks link all the Eco Villas at the Retreat ensuring minimal impact on the breathtaking surrounds.
- All boardwalks, verandas and Eco Tent floors are made from 'Eco Decking' - a composite wood decking which contains recycled polypropylene plastics and wood bi-products.
- All bathroom cosmetics are made from natural products.
- We don't provide televisions in our accommodation.
- Virtually all paper products used are 100% recycled.
- Our activities are all wilderness-based and encourage appreciation and respect for the natural environment.
- Organic gardens provide produce to kitchen for guest and staff meals.
- Kitchen scraps used as compost and to feed chickens.
- Guests' motor vehicles are not allowed within the retreat.
- Nature and cultural guides are available to guests.